Accurately attributing customer acquisition sources is crucial for understanding the effectiveness of your marketing efforts. In this exercise, we will focus on enhancing your signup form to capture valuable attribution data without biases, and then implement a Slack automation to share the submission data with your team. This will enable better alignment and insights into the true sources of your leads, improving decision-making and optimising your marketing strategies.
The goal of this exercise is to guide you in adding an effective form field for capturing attribution data on your signup form and then automating the sharing of submission data via Slack.
1. Enhancing the Signup Form
- Identify the signup form where you want to add the attribution field.
- Determine the optimal location on the form to incorporate the new field.
- Add an open-ended text field titled "How did you hear about us?" to the signup form. Make sure it is visually distinct from other fields.
- Avoid providing any suggestions, examples, or placeholder text in the field to prevent bias and encourage authentic responses.
- Ensure the field is mandatory unless it compromises the overall user experience or conversion rate.
- Test the form to verify that the new field is successfully integrated and functioning as intended.
2. Implementing Slack Automation
- Set up a dedicated channel in Slack, such as #inbound-requests, to receive the submission data.
- Determine the Slack integration method that works best for your setup (e.g., native Slack integration, third-party automation tools like Zapier or Integromat).
- Configure the automation to capture the relevant form submission data, including the name, job title, company size, software attribution, and the response from the "How did you hear about us?" field.
- Ensure the automation is designed to push the submission data to the designated Slack channel in a clear and structured format.
- Test the automation to ensure that the form submission data is successfully transferred to the Slack channel.
3. Utilizing the Attribution Insights
- Communicate within your team about the new attribution data collection process and the availability of the Slack channel for shared insights and the ability to now see the difference between software attribution and self-reported attribution.
- Encourage team members to review the attribution data and contribute their observations or insights based on their respective roles or responsibilities.
- Discuss the attribution data during team meetings or designated growth meetings to gain a better understanding of the sources that are driving leads and conversions.
- Use the insights from the attribution data to inform marketing strategies, budget allocation, and optimization efforts.
- Continuously monitor and analyze the attribution data shared via Slack to identify trends, patterns, and potential areas for improvement.